I post recipes of the vegan food I tried cooking. I adopt them from blogs, websites, podcasts, cookbooks, both Japanese and American.

挑戦してみたヴィーガンレシピを載せています。日本と海外の両方のブログやサイト、動画などからレシピを応用しています。

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Sweet Potato Ice Cream



You know what? I love Japanese sweet potatoes. I love them so much I keep eating them all day, skipping meals. I don't think it's a healthy diet to eat them for a day straight, but they're known to be high in fiber, which sounds super attractive! According to my vegetable encyclopedia, the white juice that comes out when you cut this kind of potato has a synergistic effect with the fiber to cleanse up our intestines! Sounds sexy, huh? When I was in America, I had a hard time finding the exact same kind as the one we find in Japan. What they carried as sweet potatoes in America looked different when cut, more of orange colored. Those were good but less sweet and less thick/sticky. I got to find the Japanese kind at a Japanese market, but do they ever have this kind at grocery stores? If so, what are they called? It's important because I really do miss these when I stay in the States. lol

Ingredients
300g / 10.5oz sweet potato
120g / 4.2oz sugar
300ml / 1 1/4 cups  plain unsweetened soy milk
a few drops vanilla extract

Directions
Peel off the potatoes and cut them into bite size pieces. Put them on a microwave safe plate, cover with saran wrap and microwave under 600w for 5 minutes (not sure about how to use American microwaves, but oh well, until they're cooked nice and soft, guess not too big of a deal!). Put them in a food processor with sugar and half of the soy milk to mix it until smooth. Add the rest of the soy milk and vanilla to mix again. Put the mixture in a container and freeze. Whisk after an hour, and again after an hour. Do this three times in total, and freeze until firm enough.
The ice cream was delicious! As a sweet potato lover, I can't get enough of this stuff. More precisely, this isn't too much of a creamy ice cream. It was "rich" in potato flavor and texture, as opposed to rich as in milky rich. This was technically my first attempt to make an "annoying" kind of ice cream, where I have to stir it a few times. The outcome texture was pretty hard. So I had to wait for like 7 minutes for it to melt a bit, which was like the most cruel torture for me. To avoid this, I would use an ice cream maker if I had one, but unfortunately I don't. Or, I could try freezing the potato bits after microwaving / before processing them. It might work for making it fluffier because that's what we do with our easy raspberry ice cream. Speaking of it, I could also use soy whip to make it creamier, rich and fatter.

No comments:

Post a Comment